[PW] three quotations

S M Colowick januarye at gmail.com
Sat May 23 09:08:27 PDT 2015

> https://archive.org/stream/writersonwriting030005mbp/writersonwriting030005mbp_djvu.txt

The relevant passage (below) is from a 1923 book called Talks with
Tolstoi by "well-known Prussian musician" A. Borisovich Goldenveizer
(translated by S.S. Koteliansky and Virginia Woolf).

http://archive.org/stream/rstalkswithtolst00golduoft/rstalkswithtolst00golduoft_djvu.txt

Yesterday L. N. spoke of the process of creative work:

"I can't understand how any one can write without rewriting everything
over and over again. I scarcely ever re-read my published writings,
but if by chance I come across a page, it always strikes me: All this
must be rewritten; this is how I should have written it. . . . "