[PW] Martian Manhunter

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:11:47 PDT 2015

Hi All, Dennis--
No, sorry, still no visual bells.  But one thing I neglected to mention was
that when mom threw away my comics, I was forbidden to buy any more.  So I
was left with only memories, and I didn't get back into comics until within
the last ten years--largely through my involvement with manga, anime, Buffy
and Angel etc, and of course the ongoing publication of the Complete Carl
Barks.  That means that I would have seen nothing from 1956 onward.

My wife had an experience similar to yours.  When she was a teenager, she
collected postcards, ornate ones from before the Golden age of PC
publishing.  When she decided she didn't want to collect them anymore, she
took the whole batch--several hundred--to an antique dealer, who said, "How
much do you want?"  Audrey, having been given most of them, had no idea
that they were worth several hundred dollars, said, "Um, $10?"  His eyes
lit up and he handed her a $10 bill fast enough that she realized she'd
been taken.

We didn't buy our house until 1993.  I've always had the sneaking suspicion
that the issues mom threw out would have made a significant dent in the
purchase price.  Your house experience convinces me that I was right.

Sounds like there are no SF antecedants for JJ the Martian Manhunter.  I
must have liked the 55-56 appearances so much I retconned them into SF's
Golden Age. ;-)

Metta,
Ivan

Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours