[PW] helping to start a library in Congo

Karen Lofstrom klofstrom at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:36:55 PDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com> wrote:

> Kevin, if you want to wire him money for the project, contact me off-list
> and I can put you in touch.  This is such a worthwhile project and many of
> us who know of Fidel's work in human rights want to see it succeed.

I just had a thought ... as well as paper books, he might want to
offer ebooks. Even simple cell phones can run epub apps that will read
books. Cell phones are widely used even in poor countries. I remember
reading about a project that distributed ebook libraries overseas in
the form of hardened, dedicated servers, stocked with free books,
servers that ran on solar power. If he could give away ebooks, he
might find them popular.

For a brief period I was an admin on the Project Gutenberg Facebook
account. We got many many messages from FB users in developing
countries, who either thanked PG for giving them free ebooks, or
begged that PG make their required textbooks available free (which PG
cannot do ... copyright).

--
Karen Lofstrom