[PW] 2 baseball books

Carl Lundgren clundgren2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 24 16:29:52 PDT 2015

There are two baseball books that I have been unable to find.
The first is a paperback of biographies of Hall of Fame players, I believe the book is a collection of biographies written by different sportswriters ar different times. The format is that the book editor decided on an all-time American League lineup and an all-time National League lineup, and included the biographies of the chosen players, one for each position.
As I remember, included were Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Walter Johnson, Brooks Robinson, Willie Mays, Joe DiMaggio, Hornsby, Wagner, Rod Carew, Ted Williams, Joe Cronin, Mathewson, probably Mel Ott etc.
The second book is a hardcover (I believe the hard cover was green) baseball history book, starting from the very beginning up until the book was published - 1960s or early 1970s.  This book was unusual in that the early section covered players like Pete Browning (and all his eccentricities) and Fred Dunlap (and his powerful throwing arm) who, at the time the book was published, were not well known.