[PW] Far Country by Rudyard Kipling?

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Tue Apr 28 13:37:49 PDT 2015

What Mark said.  I'm sure Twitchell was guilty of (at best) sloppy scholarship.

Assuming there is a Kipling story which matches the plot described, it
should be in one or more of the various collections of his
fantasy/supernatural short stories (or maybe it's a poem?).  Likeliest
place is this, which is both the largest and most recent such
collection (and probably the easiest to find):

Title: Rudyard Kipling's Tales of horror & fantasy / Author(s):
Kipling, Rudyard, 1865-1936.
Gaiman, Neil.
Jones, Stephen,; 1953-  Publication: New York : Pegasus Books,
Edition: 1st Pegasus Books ed. Year: 2008 Description: xii, 785 pages
: illustrations ; 23 cm Language: English

Contents: The vampire -- The dream of Duncan Parrenness -- The city of
dreadful night -- An Indian ghost story in England -- The phantom
'rickshaw -- The strange ride of Morrowbie Jukes -- The unlimited draw
of Tick Boileau -- In the house of Suddhoo -- The Bisara of Pooree --
Haunted subalterns --By word of mouth -- The recurring smash -- The
dreitarbund -- Bubbling well road -- The sending of Dana Da -- My own
true ghost story -- Sleipner, late Thurinda -- The man who would be
king -- The solid muldoon -- Baboo Mookerji's undertaking -- The joker
-- The wandering Jew -- The courting of Dinah Shadd -- The mark of the
beast -- At the end of the passage -- The recrudescence of Imray --
The finances of the gods -- The finest story in the world -- Children
of the zodiac -- The lost legion -- A matter of fact -- The
bridge-builders -- The brushwood boy -- The tomb of his ancestors --
Wireless -- "They" -- With the night mail : a story of 2000 AD -- The
house surgeon -- The knife and the naked chalk -- In the same boat --
As easy as A.B.C.: a tale of 2150 AD -- Swept and garnished -- Mary
Postgate -- The village that voted the earth was flat -- A madonna of
the trenches -- The wish house -- The gardener -- The eye of Allah --
On the gate: a tale of '16 -- The appeal.

Standard No: ISBN: 9781605980300; 1605980307 Abstract: A complete
volume of the Nobel Prize-winning writer's fantastical pieces ranges
from traditional ghost stories to works of psychological horror and
includes the works "The Phantom Rickshaw," "The Strange Ride of
Morrowbie Jukes," and "The Mark of the Beast."

Denny Lien / d-lien at umn.edu