[PW] source of quote: "The heart that gives, gathers"

Sally Waters WATERS at law.stetson.edu
Tue Apr 28 16:30:55 PDT 2015

I've been trying to track down the source of this quote for several hours; it seems to be one that has a lot of vague attributions, but nothing concrete. According to many resources I've explored, the line "the heart that gives, gathers" was said by  (a) Marianne Moore, the poet; (b) Hannah More, the writer & philanthropist from the 18th century; (c) an Old English proverb; or (d) the Tao Te Ching.

Here's the real problem: the quotation is published (even put on sweatshirts) in many places, but each source I've looked at gives a name but no concrete information beyond that (e.g., Marianne Moore - but where? )  I've checked the many quote books we have here, incl. Oxford, Bartlett's, Respectfully Submitted, and 4 others; I've been searching every online source I can think of. Still nothing definite, though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and you'll not only be giving, but gathering! Wow!)  Thanks in advance ---

Sally

Sally G. Waters
Reference Librarian
Dolly & Homer Hand Law Library