[PW] Far Country by Rudyard Kipling?

K. Stewart kjostew at verizon.net
Tue Apr 28 13:35:19 PDT 2015

The excerpt Garson quotes was also part of the book The Far Country by Paul Twitchell, who was the head of the spiritual group Eckankar.  The whole quote (in fact Twitchell references Kipling twice in his book) is:

[Begin excerpt, pp. 9-10]

Rudyard Kipling wrote a story of a boy who had a glimpse of this Far Country. Occasionally he would see the vision as he progressed into manhood. He yearned to enter that Far Country but had no way except through death. When dying from a wound received in battle during World War I, he sees the vision of the Far Country and knows at last he is ready to enter. The short story was called The Far Country and is one of Kipling's best."

[End excerpt]

The second excerpt is:

[Begin excerpt, p. 7]

Rudyard Kipling once wrote a short story with the same title. It was about a man who had a vision of the world beyond his physical senses as a child, and again when a soldier dying on the battlefield.

[End excerpt]

After doing a diligent search and coming up with no such short story by Kipling, I suspect that Mr. Twitchell was mistaken and the short story he references was authored by someone else than Rudyard Kipling; because Twitchell recalled the story of Kipling's own son's death in World War I he somehow conflated the two.  I can't imagine Twitchell would deliberately state that this story was one of Kipling's best unless he had truly convinced himself that Kipling was the author.  The patron who requested this short story probably read one of Twitchell's books, and thus the mistake continues to proliferate.

It might be worth doing a bit more research to see if someone else wrote this story.  One could use the second sentence of the excerpt on p. 7 (above) as one's basic search parameters (and obviously use the dates of WW1 as limiters) and something might turn up.

Karen Stewart
Bartow, FL