[PW] Ethiopians (was: New York Times Article About Earliest Use of Term "African-American")

John Henderson jhenderson at ithaca.edu
Mon Apr 27 13:23:08 PDT 2015

Ah, but it matters less what the King James translators were thinking than what the original word meant. It appears to be better translated as Cushite, which almost certainly referred to a person from the geographic place that in ancient of days was Kush or Cush, which despite the use of the term Ethiopian, better fits the region that includes northern Sudan and southern Egypt.  Whether or not Moses's wife, who came from Cush, was a sable-skinned woman, is a subject for different round of speculation.

Aside: In a bedroom scene (Mae West on the inside, Fields on the outside) in <<My Little Chickadee>>, WC Fields has been quoted as saying "There's an Ethiopian in the fuel supply." Since online there are several different variations of the quote, including substituting "Ethiope" for Ethiopian, I'm not sure of the exact quote (it's missing from the Yale book), so the usage, at least as a censorship-busting euphemism, was revived in the 20th century.

John Henderson
Ithaca College Library