[PW] paying one's debt to societyh

cowan at ccil.org cowan at ccil.org
Mon Apr 27 07:55:23 PDT 2015

T.F. Mills scripsit:

> Personally, I am bit amused by intellectually shallow philanthropists
> whose stated motivation is to "give back" to the society that has been
> so good to them.  What's that?  Did they steal from me?  Did they take
> more than their fair share?

Probably.  Few rich people didn't get a boost somewhere by a fraud or a
theft from the public.  Warren Buffett seems to be an exception, though.

> Were they not caught, but guilt is getting the better of them?

You can only get caught if what you do is illegal.  Many kinds of
wrongdoing are entirely legal.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Note that nobody these days would clamor for fundamental laws of *the theory
of kangaroos*, showing why pseudo-kangaroos are physically, logically,
metaphysically impossible.  Kangaroos are wonderful, but not *that*
wonderful.
         --Daniel Dennett on zombies