[PW] paying one's debt to societyh

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 25 13:56:18 PDT 2015

On 22 Apr 2015 at 3:13, Solomons1pal at aol.com wrote:

>    Who first suggested that someone committing a crime had  thereby
> incurred a debt to society, a debt hecould pay off by serving a certain  time in
> prison?

If your emphasis is not on the idea of prison (where we ironically incur even more debt to
society for feeding and sheltering us), but on the concept of debt, this, too, is lost in
prehistory, but you might enjoy Margaret Atwood's "Payback" for her wide-ranging exploration
of the notion through economics, religion, political science, etc.

Personally, I am bit amused by intellectually shallow philanthropists whose stated motivation
is to "give back" to the society that has been so good to them.  What's that?   Did they steal
from me?  Did they take more than their fair share?  Were they not caught, but guilt is getting
the better of them?

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)