[PW] The sable race

Laura.Henry at wakegov.com Laura.Henry at wakegov.com
Thu Apr 23 06:43:50 PDT 2015

I wouldn't be surprised if the word was in more common use in the 18th and
19th centuries. These references were a bit later than late 1700s, but
I'll throw them out there.

According to Etymonline, "sable" was used as '"black" with reference to
Africans and their descendants, often with mock dignity.' (
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=sable&searchmode=none
)

It was also used in Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter (1850):  "On a field,
sable, the letter 'A' gules."

Cat Henry
Digital Librarian
Wake County Public Libraries