[PW] Ogden Nash's Song of the Open Road: Indeed/Perhaps?

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 17:55:58 PDT 2015

The poem was printed in "The New Yorker" in October 1932. This might
be the version given in the initial publication.

Date: 1932 October 15
Periodical: The New Yorker
Poem title: Song of the Open Road
Poem author: Ogden Nash
Quote Page 18, Column 2
Database: Online New Yorker Database of Page Scans
Access date: April 15, 2015

[Begin excerpt]
SONG OF THE OPEN ROAD

I think that I shall never see
A billboard lovely as a tree.
Perhaps, unless the billboards fall,
I'll never see a tree at all.
             --OGDEN NASH
[End excerpt]

(I have used two hyphens to represent a dash to forestall encoding
difficulties during message transmission.)

Fred presented a version using "Indeed" in the "Yale Book of
Quotations" with the following citation:  "Song of the Open Road" l. 1
(1933)".

Copyright note: Hathi Trust and Google Books contain multiple
instances of the complete short poem that are in full view. Some use
"Indeed" and some use "Perhaps".

Garson