[PW] Urgent Need for Search of CD-ROM of OED 2nd Edition

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Tue Apr 7 05:57:32 PDT 2015

If it helps anyone check, the 2d edition appeared in 1994.

Accession Number: 30155210

Title: The Oxford English dictionary
on compact disc. Corp Author(s): Oxford University Press.
Publication: Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press,
Edition: 2nd ed. Year: 1992 Description: 1 computer optical disc ; 4
3/4 in. + Includes: 1 computer disk (3 1/2 in.) + 1 manual (125 p.) +
1 user's guide (71 p.) Language: No Linguistic Content Standard No:
ISBN: 0198612605; 9780198612605; 0199617260 (manual); 9780199617265
(manual); 019268342X (container); 9780192683427 (container); LCCN:
94-790035 Abstract: A complete text of the 2nd ed. of the Oxford
English dictionary with search software which allows the user to
locate a specific word; browse the text; formulate complex searches
using Boolean operators; limit searches by date, part of speech, or
section of the entry; follow up cross-references; save search results
to a file; or paste sections of the OED2 into a text file.
SUBJECT(S) Descriptor: English language -- Dictionaries.
Engels.
English language.  Genre/Form: Dictionaries.  System Info: System
requirements: IBM-compatible PC with 386 processor; 2MB RAM (4MB
recommended); DOS 3.0 or higher; Windows 3.0 or higher; Microsoft
CD-ROM Extension software (MSCDEX 2.0 or higher); hard disk with 1MB
free space; VGA monitor; CD-ROM drive; mouse.; IBM PC; DOS 3.0.;
CD-ROM player. Computer File: Electronic data and program.

WorldCat shows almost a hundred holding libraries, but I suspest in
most cases (certainly the case for the U of Minnesota) the cdrom was
either withdrawn/lost in favor of later direct online access, or if
still held is in some sort of storage area rather than loaded and
seeing active use.

I was surprised Yale itself didn't have a copy (at least in storage)
but I see by their record that the disc has been missing for years:

http://hdl.handle.net/10079/bibid/3643262

For what the additional information may be worth...