[PW] Urgent Need for Search of CD-ROM of OED 2nd Edition

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 08:14:43 PDT 2015

I used to have this.  But I hated it so much that I sold it.  It required
that you always have the CD in your drive, and the "dictionary" appeared as
a tiny one-line window in the upper right of your screen, into which you
typed your word. The definition would appear as a pop-up for a few seconds
before going away.  It was a horrendous user interface, and I loathed the
damn thing.  As I recall, your CD drive had to have special abilities so
that OUP could link your drive and your CD to ascertain if you were using
the disc legally.

I doubt any library would actually keep it, since it was unusable.

Metta,
Ivan

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 6:57 AM, d-lien University of Minnesota <
d-lien at umn.edu> wrote:

> If it helps anyone check, the 2d edition appeared in 1994.
>
> Accession Number: 30155210
>
> Title: The Oxford English dictionary
> on compact disc. Corp Author(s): Oxford University Press.
> Publication: Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press,
> Edition: 2nd ed. Year: 1992 Description: 1 computer optical disc ; 4
> 3/4 in. + Includes: 1 computer disk (3 1/2 in.) + 1 manual (125 p.) +
> 1 user's guide (71 p.) Language: No Linguistic Content Standard No:
> ISBN: 0198612605; 9780198612605; 0199617260 (manual); 9780199617265
> (manual); 019268342X (container); 9780192683427 (container); LCCN:
> 94-790035 Abstract: A complete text of the 2nd ed. of the Oxford
> English dictionary with search software which allows the user to
> locate a specific word; browse the text; formulate complex searches
> using Boolean operators; limit searches by date, part of speech, or
> section of the entry; follow up cross-references; save search results
> to a file; or paste sections of the OED2 into a text file.
> SUBJECT(S) Descriptor: English language -- Dictionaries.
> Engels.
> English language.  Genre/Form: Dictionaries.  System Info: System
> requirements: IBM-compatible PC with 386 processor; 2MB RAM (4MB
> recommended); DOS 3.0 or higher; Windows 3.0 or higher; Microsoft
> CD-ROM Extension software (MSCDEX 2.0 or higher); hard disk with 1MB
> free space; VGA monitor; CD-ROM drive; mouse.; IBM PC; DOS 3.0.;
> CD-ROM player. Computer File: Electronic data and program.
>
> ******************
>
> WorldCat shows almost a hundred holding libraries, but I suspest in
> most cases (certainly the case for the U of Minnesota) the cdrom was
> either withdrawn/lost in favor of later direct online access, or if
> still held is in some sort of storage area rather than loaded and
> seeing active use.
>
> I was surprised Yale itself didn't have a copy (at least in storage)
> but I see by their record that the disc has been missing for years:
>
> http://hdl.handle.net/10079/bibid/3643262
>
> For what the additional information may be worth...
>

> On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have an urgent need to search the CD-ROM of the 2nd edition of the
> OED.  If anyone has the CD-ROM and is willing to do a search for me today
> or tomorrow, please email me.
> >
> > Fred Shapiro
> > fred.shapiro at yale.edu
> > Project Wombat - Project-Wombat
> > list at project-wombat.org
> > http://www.project-wombat.org/

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.pauahtun.org/
http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours