[PW] Quote Query: If the earth were a single state, Constantinople would be its capital.

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 07:40:47 PDT 2014

Your help is requested to avoid an international diplomatic incident
(That is a joke). A speechwriter contacted me about a saying
attributed to Napoleon Bonaparte I. Here are two versions in English:

If the earth were a single state, Constantinople would be its capital.
If the earth were a single state, Istanbul would be its capital.

Of course, the name of the city was officially changed from
Constantinople to Istanbul long after the death of Napoleon. A
preliminary examination only finds recent evidence for this quotation.
Here is an unverified match in Google Books in 2009:

Year: 2009
Title: The Demon In Diplomacy: Alliances Based On Affinity