[PW] Origin of "Generals" quote?

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 14:23:25 PDT 2012

The great reference Dictionary of Modern Proverbs (2012) has an entry
for this saying with a few citations starting in 1934. Here is the
first cite and a link into Google Books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=LPZfi4ADcusC&q=%22last+war%22#v=snippet&
Short link:   http://bit.ly/PdmU4A

Cite: 2012, The Dictionary of Modern Proverbs, Compiled by Charles
Clay Doyle, Wolfgang Mieder, and Fred R. Shapiro Page 94, Yale
University Press, New Haven. (Verified on paper)

Generals(Soldiers, etc.) always fight (prepare to fight, are condemned
to fight) the last war.

1934 Edward P. Warner, “Present Conditions under the N.R.A. [National
Recovery Act],” American Marketing Journal1: 12: “There is a saying
that is rather common among the critics of the military profession
that ‘soldiers are always preparing to fight the last war.’ Business
must not incur the rebuke that it is devoting itself to preparing to
sell goods under the conditions of the last economic cycle.”

Typos possible; please double-check.

Garson O'Toole