[PW] What does it mean?

Suzanne Watkins gilgunn2003 at ymail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:05:27 PDT 2012

Just a thought. In addition to this most useful information, we should also remember that the words of centuries past did not always have the same meanings and/or connotations that they do today. Words who's meanings we take for granted today may have not existed in the era we are researching, or may have had an entirly different meaning back then.

Take the word "shit". Though used in the sense of "excrement" since the 1580s, the extensive slang meanings now used, other than the noun use for "obnoxious person" (1508), only appeared in the 20th century. The word "shit" was taboo from around 1600 and early rare use in print contained dashes to disguise it. The word "shitty" did not show up until 1924.

The word "crap" ("...like crap through a goose..." Patton), meaning "defecate", did not appear until 1846. In the early 15th century "crap" meant "weeds growing among corn" then by the late late 15th century evolved to "residue from renderings". In the 18th century, it was used as underworld slang for "money".

Sue W
"Ní neart go cur le chéile"