[PW] Searching for the source and the original language of a curse

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 09:09:23 PST 2022

A very elaborate curse mentioning “scorpions in your bosom” appeared
in a book published in London in 1858 within an article about
collecting bills for newspapers.

Year: 1858
Book Title: The World at Home: A Miscellany of Entertaining Reading
Article: Newspaper Dunning In America,
Quote Page 171, Column 2,
Publisher: Groombridge & Sons, London

https://books.google.com/books?id=RWgEAAAAQAAJ&q=scorpions#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
‘Send us our dues—or may you be shod with lightning, and compelled to
wander through deserts of gunpowder; your eyes be sore, and a chestnut
burr for an eyestone. May you have a hornet’s nest in each boot,
vipers in your ears, scorpions in your bosom, and be rode by Irish
bog-trotters in the night, with a two-bushel bag of potatoes tied to
each leg.’
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole