[PW] Searching for the source and the original language of a curse

Bristol Library bplref at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 06:04:58 PST 2022

Hi, GraceAnne,
No joy, I'm afraid.  I did contact a scorpion researcher who did some
asking and did not find anyone who knew of this curse.  Here is his reply:

*Happy New Year!*

*I have asked a couple of experiences scorpion researchers and also the
members of the largest scorpion groups on Facebook and I have not been able
to find anyone who have heard about this curse. One scorpion enthusiast
cited a similar one: " "may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your
scrotum", but hadn't heard a version with scorpions.*

*So I'm sorry to say that I'm not able to help you any further.*

*Best wishes*

*Jan Ove*

Jan Ove Rein, M.Sc. (zoology)

Senior Research Librarian (medicine)

Medicine and Health Library, NTNU UB

Norwegian University of Science & Technology (NTNU)

Kunnskapssenteret, St. Olavs Hospital HF

N-7006 Trondheim

Norway Phone + 47 72 57 66 89

E-mail jan.rein at ub.ntnu.no

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/  (The Scorpion Files)

http://scorpion-files.blogspot.com/ (The Scorpion Files Newsblog)

On Sun, Dec 19, 2021 at 10:48 AM GraceAnne Andreassi DeCandido <
graceanneladyhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> My grandmother noted a curse from her Abruzzese youth to the effect of "May
> he find scorpions in his bed." When I was older, I was told it was more
> like "May he find scorpions in his scrotum."
> I have done no searching on this, I wouldn't know where to begin. But I
> would love to know the source (it may also be Arabic, or dialect) and the
> original language.
> What prompted this search, and my request to you, is Joe Manchin.
> GraceAnne
> in New York City
> *a word after a word after a word is power*
> -Margaret Atwood

Bristol Public Library
Bristol, VA/TN

See what we're reading now: