[PW] Was the French composer Adophe Adam Jewish?

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 20 11:24:48 PST 2021

On 20 Dec 2021 at 10:28, Marci Frederick wrote:

> A thread is going around concerning "O holy night,"
> <https://mikefrost.net/midnight-christians-the-most-radical-christmas-song-ever-written/>which
> asserts that the French composer Adolphe Adam was Jewish. I checked
> *Grove's* and a few other places but have not been able to verify this. Any
> sources pro or con about this would be appreciated.

Did you google this?  (using either juif or Jewish.)  Tons of hits,
and quite a few seem high on the reliability scale.

A couple:

https://history-day-by-day.com/tag/o-holy-night/

https://www.americamagazine.org/arts-culture/2020/11/19/brief-h
istory-o-holy-night-christmas-hymn-review

Consensus of scholars seems to be that Adam was NOT
Jewish, definitely of secular persuasion, possibly of "Jewish
ancestry" (a concept fraught with difficulty).  The latter may need
a little more digging (if you are interested), but it may have
originally been just a variation on the biased charge of Adam's
personal "jewishness."  (We're talking of the era of the 1848
revolutions when conservative anti-semitism was prominent, i.e.
all leftists are an evil "foreign" threat, Jews perenially topping the
list.)

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)