[PW] artist's name on 1850s woodcut (Brooks-Sumner)

T.F. Mills phasco at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 4 22:29:38 PST 2021

On 5 Dec 2021 at 1:48, Allen Koenigsberg wrote:

>    I am looking at an old woodcut, probably colorized after its 1856 creation, and it shows a variation on the famous scene of assault.There are some papers on the floor, and 3 books & a hat as well.
>   At the bottom left, it looks like the initials are A. F. but I suppose it could be A. P.
>   Does anyone know the exact date it originally appeared (maybe in Harper's?). Or the artist? That would be very helpful.
>   Here is the URL where it can be seen:

 https://www.democracyandme.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Caning-of-Charles-Sumner-1856.jpg

Hi Allen,

The caning incident was 1856, but the woodcut perhaps much
later.  This commercial site claims the illustration was published
in 1882:

https://www.istockphoto.com/vector/assault-of-senator-sumner-b
y-p-s-brooks-gm158750416-16706027

If that claim is correct, this appears to be where it was published:

https://books.google.com/books?id=34sMAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA4
43#v=onepage&q&f=false

American Progress, by Richard M Devens, p. 443.

It's a thick book and doesn't seem to credit the various
illustrators anywhere, so that may mean the illustrations were
pre-existing.  But I think finding A.F. around 1882 is a better bet
than 1856.

If you have the time (?!), you might want to look at all the
illustrations in the book to see if there are others by A.F. and if
he ever signed more fully.

T.F. Mills
(Colorado, USA)