[PW] First? line in a story or novel

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 12:42:35 PST 2021

Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
> I read this when I was a kid, so it's from the 60s or before.  It's
> definitely science fiction, and it might be a first line.  It went
> something like, "Five times had the galaxy revolved..." or some variation
> on that.

Serendipitously, I came across the epigraph below which appears at the
beginning of an SF book by Vonnegut. The quotation is listed in Fred's
"The New Yale Book of Quotations" (It is also in the original
edition). The quotation does not refer to a galactic rotation, but it
does refer to an astronomical change.

[ref] 1964 (1959 Copyright), The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.,
(Epigraph at beginning of book attributed to a fictional character
within the book), A Corgi Book: Transworld Publishers, London.
(Verified with scans) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
"Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles
closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules—and still there are some
misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress."
RANSOM K. FERN
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole