[PW] First? line in a story or novel

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 07:02:38 PDT 2021

The beginning and ending passages of Bester's 1953 novel "The
Demolished Man" assert that the galaxy "has revolved nine times
already".  The ellipsis is in the original text.

Year: 1996 (1953 Copyright)
Book Title: The Demolished Man
Author: Alfred Bester
Publisher: Vintage Books - Random House, New York

[Begin excerpt - double-check for typos]
In the endless universe there is nothing new, nothing different. What
may appear exceptional to the minute mind of man may be inevitable to
the infinite Eye of God. This strange second in a life, that unusual
event, those remarkable coincidences of environment, opportunity, and
encounter . . . all may be reproduced over and over on the planet of a
sun whose galaxy revolves once in two hundred million years and has
revolved nine times already.
[End excerpt]

A longer version of this passage was included in Gary Westfahl's
"Science Fiction Quotations" compilation.

Garson O'Toole
QuoteInvestigator.com