[PW] Source of Quotation that begins "Some people mirror our darkness" circa 1990s

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 13:01:17 PDT 2021

Thanks for your response, Kathy. Excellent discovery.
The phrase in the book by Peter McWilliams is the following:

"grapple to our hearts with hoops of steel."

The phrase was enclosed in quotation marks by McWilliams, but it was
only a partial match to a line within Shakespeare which also uses
"hoops of steel". Shakespeare used "soul" instead of "heart".

Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 3
Polonius
https://www.sparknotes.com/nofear/shakespeare/hamlet/page_44/

[Begin excerpt]
Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,
Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel,
[End excerpt]

As you discovered, Horace Greeley wrote an 1848 essay with the phrase
"grapple to our hearts with hooks of steel". I think that both Greeley
and McWilliams were echoing Shakespeare inexactly. The phrase may have
been garbled via one or more intermediaries.