[PW] Source of Quotation that begins "Some people mirror our darkness" circa 1990s

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 02:34:38 PDT 2021

Below is a pertinent match. Your quotation seems to be a condensed
version of the following passage. The quotation marks near the end of
the passage signal that the author(s) were probably referencing
Shakespeare for the final phrase.

Year: 1991
Book Title: Life 101: Everything We Wish We Had Learned About Life in
School — But Didn't
Authors: John-Roger and Peter McWilliams
Chapter: Relationships
Quote page 121
Publisher: Prelude Press, Los Angeles, California
Verification method: Verified with scans

[Begin  excerpt]
Relationships can be among the most amazing mirrors around. Some
relationships are like fun-house mirrors: they reflect something back
to you, but it's liable to be distorted. Other relationships are like
magnifying or reducing mirrors: they make everything they reflect seem
larger or smaller than they truly are.

Some relationships are accurate mirrors of the darkness inside us,
others accurately reflect the light. Occasionally, we find one that
reflects both. That's the relationship we either flee from, or
"grapple to our hearts with hoops of steel."
[End excerpt]

Peter McWilliams later claimed to be the sole author of this book
according to his Wikipedia entry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_McWilliams

Garson O'Toole
QuoteInvestigator.com