[PW] seeking information on Friedrich Depken ...

Debra Andreadis andreadisd at denison.edu
Thu Sep 30 10:04:09 PDT 2021

It looks like the second book is a published version of the first which was
a Doctoral Thesis for Heidelberg University.

Here is a description of the book from Rollyson, Carl E. 2008. Critical
Survey of Mystery and Detective Fiction. Vol. Rev. ed. / editor, Carl
Rollyson. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Pasadena, Calif: Salem Press:

"Depken, Friedrich. Sherlock Holmes, Raffles, and Their Prototypes.
Translated by Jay Finley Christ. Chicago: Fanlight House, 1949. First
published in German at Heidelberg in 1914, this short history and analysis
of detective fiction from its beginnings in the nineteenth century
discusses such elements as deduction, suspense, heroes, and narrators.
Concludes with a defense of the genre."

And the thesis information from WorldCat:
Author Depken, Friedrich, 1890-
<https://olc1.ohiolink.edu/search~S0?/aDepken%2C+Friedrich%2C+1890-/adepken+friedrich+1890/-3,-1,0,B/browse>
Title *Charakter und Technik der Detektivnovelle / Friedrich Depken*
Publish Info Heidelberg, 1914

Description XI, 29 p., 1 l. 22 cm
Note Thesis (doctoral)--Ruprecht-Karls-Universitt Heidelberg, 1914
Lebenslauf
Literatur, p. [vii]-xi
Complete work published as Anglische Forschungen, Hft. 41, with title:
Sherlock Holmes Raffles und ihre Vorbilder ... 1914
Alt Name Universitt Heidelberg
<https://olc1.ohiolink.edu/search~S0?/aUniversit{u00E4}t+Heidelberg/auniversitt+heidelberg/-3,-1,0,B/browse>
OCLC # 44742642

I didn't find any other information on the author, but perhaps Heidelberg
University has an archives that could help.

Debby Andreadis

On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 12:25 PM PETER BLAU <blau7103 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Author of Charakter und technik der detektivenovelle (1914) and  Sherlock
> Holmes, Raffles und ihre vorbilder (1914) . . . the second book was
> translated and published in English as  Sherlock Holmes, Raffles and Their
> Prototypes (1949) . . . but I'm unable to find any biographical or
> professional information about him.
>
> Hopefully,
>
> Peter E. Blau
> 7103 Endicott Court
> Bethesda, MD 20817-4401
> (301-229-5669)

Debra Andreadis, MS, MSIS
Deputy Director
Denison University Libraries
Granville OH 43023
Phone: 740-587-5653
andreadisd at denison.edu
https://denisonuappointments.as.me/debbyandreadis
she/her/hers

Get your questions answered--
https://denisonuappointments.as.me/library
https://denison.libanswers.com/

Quote: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens
can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." --
Margaret Mead