[PW] Trying to find poem for library patron

Joyce Deming Joyce.Deming at JeffcoLibrary.org
Sat Sep 18 11:35:00 PDT 2021

Hello!

I have an elderly library patron who is trying to recreate a collection of poems that were destroyed in a fire.  This is what she gave me to work with:

The poem maybe part of a larger work dealing with the Ozarks.   She thinks the title of the poem she is looking for is "Backwater."
Its about two friends sailing on a river or pond & fishing; one of the friends start musing about nature, the nature of man, knowing the soul/heart of another.
Some lines she remembers:
"and the impossible the soul longs after; is to build bridges there where none may build"
"which of us has looked into the heart of his brother"
"nature is more fair"
"the unwielding hour unwilling to teach us"

I am working remotely so don't have access to any print poetry anthologies right now.  I'm also in a public library so don't have access to any university online poetry databases.  Google is just not coming up with anything.  Thanks so much for your help!!!

JOYCE DEMING
Adult Outreach Librarian | Adult Services,Standley Lake Library