[PW] "Bawdy" joke told by Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Brian Whatcott betwys1 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 15 08:17:36 PDT 2021

 I had hoped to find it described in ALICE ROOSEVELT LONGWORTH By Carol Felsenthal.
Searches on Woodrow Wilson & joke were unproductive however.
    On Sunday, August 15, 2021, 06:45:00 AM CDT, Amy J. Schneider <amy at featherschneider.com> wrote:

 Hello, dear wombats --

I was a member for a while on Stumpers-L back in the day. What a lot of
fun that was! I'm back with a question whose answer is eluding an
extremely devoted group of fans:

What was the "bawdy" (or "ribald," or "disparaging," according to
various sources) joke that Alice Roosevelt Longworth told about Woodrow
Wilson, to his face, in public, that got her banned from the White House
in 1916?

Seemingly a million websites mention the incident, but so far none that
we can find actually tell what the joke was. Surely someone recorded it.

Filthy minds want to know! (I'm sure it will turn out to be quite tame
by 2021 standards, but knowing Alice's reputation, witty all the same.)

Amy J. Schneider (she/her) ~ Featherschneider Editorial Services
amy at featherschneider.com ~ www.featherschneider.com
"There are no passengers on spaceship Earth. Everybody's crew."

~ Marshall McLuhan

Project Wombat - Project-Wombat-FM
list at project-wombat.org