[PW] Lost Short Horror Story

d-lien University of Minnesota d-lien at umn.edu
Fri Mar 5 08:40:33 PST 2021

Resending my previous answer to the list of a week or so back, in case
you didn't see it for consideration:

*****************************

Possibly/probably WHITE LOTUS by John Hersey?

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/h/john-hersey/white-lotus.htm

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1495461.White_Lotus

etc.

Robert A. Heinlein's early novel SIXTH COLUMN (a.k.a. THE DAY AFTER
TOMORROW) also posits the USA defeated by China, but that outcome is
soon reversed by dodgy superscience gimmicks within a few months, so
that one seems unlikely to be the book sought.  David Wingrove's CHUNG
KAO series is much too recent.  But those may also be of interest to
you.

Dennis Lien // (retired from) U of Minnesota Libraries //  d-lien at umn.edu