[PW] Lost Short Horror Story

Lesley K klesleyk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 06:52:01 PST 2021

I loved the Arthur THREE INVESTIGATORS books - the follow up authors
weren't nearly as good.  (And I still yearn for my own gold-plated Rolls
Royce)

I haven't thought of them for DECADES, though;  thanks for the nostalgia!

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 8:25 AM Todd Mason <foxbrick at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Excellent. Haven't thought of that Arthur story for decades. Robert Arthur
> was the ghost-editor of the 1960s ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: volumes
> published by Random House and the ALFRED HITCHCOCK'S GHOSTLY GALLERY and
> similar YA volumes also published, with often lavish and quite good
> illustration, also by RH (the paperback reprints usually dumped the
> illustrations, alas). Arthur also created for the Hitchcock branding at RH
> the THREE INVESTIGATORS series of novels, and wrote the first several,
> before dying rather young in 1969.
> One of similar vintage and plot was an ancestor of our still-current spate
> of "found footage" horror and fantasy films, H. R. Wakefield's "Ghost
> Hunt", originally in the 20th anniversary issue of WEIRD TALES and famously
> adapted for the radio series SUSPENSE...inasmuch as it verged on being a
> radio script in its original form, an easy adaptation!
> Title: Ghost Hunt (isfdb.org)
> TM
>
>     On Friday, March 5, 2021, 07:40:30 AM EST, d-lien University of
> Minnesota <d-lien at umn.edu> wrote:
>
>  This is "The Believers" by Robert Arthur (also published as "Do You
> Believe in Ghosts?")
>
> https://www.scaryforkids.com/believers/
>
> often anthologized:
>
> http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?87816
>

> Dennis Lien // (retired from) U of Minnesota Libraries // d-lien at umn.edu
>
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 4:12 AM Susan Elizabeth Bryant
> <selizabethbryant at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ooking for the title/author of a short story I read, pre-1970.  A radio
> > host is broadcasting a horror show from the basement of a haunted mansion
> > deep in the south.  His producer and technicians are down the road in a
> > van, listening and monitoring the levels for the broadcast.  To "get the
> > feel" of the experience, the host has had himself shackled in the
> > basement.  He tells this audience about the creeping swamp creature that
> is
> > making its way to his location, describing the sounds in fantastic
> detail.
> > The producer is in awe and thinks to himself how many thousands are
> > listening to this broadcast and believing.  The host closes the show with
> > the retreat of the creature, signs off, then asks the producer to hurry
> > back to the house to set him free as he is starting to hear noises in the
> > house. It goes on from there but  it is such an awesome scary story,
> > desperate to find it again.  It may have been in an Alfred Hitchcock
> > collection? Thank you in advance.
> > Project Wombat - Project-wombat
> > list at project-wombat.org
> > http://www.project-wombat.org/

-- Lesley Knieriem
   Rogers Public Library
   Rogers AR

Nunc adeamus bibliothecam, non illam quidem multis instructam libris, sed
exquisitis. -- Erasmus