[PW] three old questions, again

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 10:11:40 PST 2021

Hi All--
I address only 1, and I do not actually answer the question. 😁  However.
Many years ago, in the late 50s and early 60s, downtown Evansville Indiana
tried a system similar to this, and might actually have been the same, but
phase three was called a "scramble." A loud buzzer could be heard at the
intersection, the traffic lights would all flash red, and pedestrians could
"scramble" any way they wanted.

I have not been a pedestrian in that city since that time, so I do not know
how long the practice continued, nor even if it is still there.  I was last
in the city in January 2000, to visit my parents' graves, and never went
downtown; I can't say for certain, but don't believe I have been downtown
there since my tween/early teen years.

But perhaps you could contact the Evansville city government to see what
they have to say.

Metta,
Ivan

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 10:29 AM <solomons1pal at aol.com> wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> Below are three questions that I've asked before, in some cases several
> years before, but I'm asking them again in the hope that new members have
> joined Wombats, bringing new knowledge and attitudes with them. 1.  Years
> ago a traffic engineer proposed a new way to keep pedestrians safe from
> auto traffic, and autos from other autos.  He wanted traffic lights to
> operate in a three-phase cycle: in phase one, pedestrians would not move,
> and only north-south auto traffic would move; in phase two, pedestrians
> would not move, and only east-west auto traffic would move; in phase three,
> no autos would move, and pedestrians could move in any direction they
> pleased, including diagonally.  I believe this idea was tried in San
> Francisco, but obviously not adopted.  I wonder what problem was found to
> prevent its adoption; it looks promising to me.  When I first asked this
> question years ago, no one gave me any good answers; the only one I recall
> is that someone said that people couldn't get the hang of it.  What I'm
> hoping for is a pointer to some authoritative report. 2.  I wondered why,
> in citing books, scholars still include the "place of publication", meaning
> nowadays the head office of the publisher.  Up until the early 19th
> century, it was important to know where the publisher was located, because
> that's where you had to go if you wanted the book.  If it was published by
> Jacob Tonson, you went to Tonson's shop to buy the book.  Nowadays, of
> course, you go to your neighborhood book store or order the book through
> Abebooks.  The place where the publisher's main office is located is of no
> use to you; if you showed up there and said that you wanted to buy one of
> their books, they would think you were an eccentric, to put it gently, and
> direct you to the nearest bookstore.  Can anyone suggest a rational,
> practical reason why the formal citation of a book includes the publisher's
> main office, which is usually New York or London? 3.  During World War II,
> when what is now the U.S.Air Force was the Army Air Corps, there was a song
> popular among pilots whose lyrics included the line "fly low and slow, said
> his mother". Can anyone give me the title of the song, or a suggestion as
> to where I can get any information about it?    Since these are questions
> unlikely to be of much interest to many others, I give my email address
> below so that you can send whatever answers you may have just to me.
>                   Mark Halpern     solomons1pal at aol.com

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
https://legacy.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html
<http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html>
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours