[PW] Fred Esmelton, actor of silent movies and early talkies

Javier Candeira javier at candeira.com
Wed Nov 18 15:51:08 PST 2020

Hi Wombats!

A question from sunny Melbourne, where actual wombats roam and root and ruin
suburban gardens.

Note: this question is about a relative, but it's not a genealogical
question. The genealogy is well established.

Fred Esmelton (Melbourne, Australia, 1872 - Los Angeles, 1933) was a
Hollywood actor in the silent era. Only his last credit was a talkie.

He was also my wife Helen's (in CC) great-great-great-uncle.

We'd like to surprise the family with a pamphlet on Fred Esmelton's life and
career, but all we have is what the family already knows:

- Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Esmelton
- IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0260705

He was also a member of the Knights of Columbus:
https://imgur.com/a/CMfu4lm

We don't expect to find a "Life and Times of Fred Esmelton" biography we can
buy from Abebooks, but maybe he's mentioned in Hollywood histories, or in
anecdotes about other actors. He worked alongside big name stars such as
Eddie Cantor and Clara Bow, so there may be mentions of him somewhere.

We're already writing to the Knights of Columbus and to the Hollywood
Forever Cemetery to ask them who paid for the burial, and see if there's a
surname that leads to a thread.

Other sources I could contact if the wombats help me find them would be
Hollywood historical archives, old actors' homes, etc.

There at least one obsessive scholar/collector/archiver for every single
movie, actor, novelist, video game, etc. We're quite sure that right now
there's someone in Hollywood who, when asked, would say "YOU'VE COME TO THE
RIGHT PERSON -- I KNOW ALL THAT IS KNOWN ABOUT FRED ESMELTON!" and bring out
a dossier. We just don't know how to get to them.

Kind regards,

Javier Candeira + Helen Faulkner