[PW] Scientific measurements of Scaramucci's

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Nov 16 08:09:53 PST 2020

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 3:19 AM Thomas Fuller <tdruryfuller at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Not a quote input, but the Scaramucci business reminds me that each year
> since 1958, MIT pranksters have marked out with sidewalk chalk the exact
> length of the Harvard Bridge in “Smoots” – one Oliver Smoot, a pledgee in
> that year, having permitted his body to be used as a measuring stick.

Oliver Smoot later became the president of ANSI (the American National
Standards Institute) and then ISO (the International Organization for
Standards).  A fitting career for someone who has a standard named for him.

This great college [Trinity], of this ancient university [Cambridge],
has seen some strange sights. It has seen Wordsworth drunk and Porson
sober. And here am I, a better poet than Porson, and a better scholar
than Wordsworth, somewhere betwixt and between.  --A.E. Housman