[PW] Grimm's Fairy Tales

John Henderson jrhenderson9 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 05:17:21 PDT 2020

For free, here is the shortest tale in the Grimm collection. See if you think your child would enjoy or be instructed by it.

The Willful Child

Once upon a time there was a child who was willful, and would not obey her mother. For this reason God had no pleasure in her, and let her become ill and die. When she had been lowered into her grave, and earth was spread over her, all at once one of her her arms shot out of the ground and stretched upwards. They had put the arm back in the ground and spread fresh earth over it, but it was all to no purpose, for the arm came out again. Over and over they reburied the arm, and it always came out again. Then the mother herself felt obliged to go to the grave and strike the arm with a rod, and when she had done that, the arm was drawn in, and then at last the child had rest beneath the ground.

John Henderson
Retired