[PW] Grimm's Fairy Tales

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:48:07 PDT 2020

Ha.  All the more reason to search out un-Disneyfied Grimm's!

As a child I inherited a torn and grubby thin-papered, threadbare-covered
in blue cloth version with print so fine and small only a child had the
vision capable of reading it.  I relished those gruesome, bloody tales.
And as we all know, children are far more bloody-minded than we believe (or
remember).

Metta,
Ivan

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 6:42 PM Donna Halper <dlh at donnahalper.com> wrote:

> On 10/14/2020 8:33 PM, Colleen Kelly [Staff] wrote:
> > Hi Everyone, my nephew is in Grade 4 and is fascinated by the original
> > Grimm's Fairy Tales. I'm trying to find an edition for him that stays
> true
> > to the original stories and doesn't 'Disney' them up. And he doesn't shy
> > away from reading above his level! Suggestions would be greatly
> > appreciated, thank you!
>

> There may be a reason why some of the stories got "Disney-fied."
> History.com offers a few possible reasons:
> https://www.history.com/news/the-dark-side-of-the-grimm-fairy-tales That
> said, numerous used bookstores probably have early editions, including
> the online bookseller abebooks.com (which does have some affiliated
> shops in Canada).  And Project Gutenberg seems to have digitized some of
> the Grimm's fairy tales: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2591
>
> --
> Donna L. Halper, PhD
> Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies
> Lesley University, Cambridge MA

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
https://legacy.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html
<http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html>
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours