[PW] Seeking source of Angela Davis quote

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Fri Jul 31 14:50:47 PDT 2020

On 7/31/2020 3:55 PM, Sandra Elaine Riggs wrote:
> Thanks for checking. Several folks have been trying to help, but we couldn't pin anything down.

For what it's worth, in an 18 June 1993 newspaper article,  I found the
exact quote attributed to Rev. Joseph Barndt, a Lutheran pastor leading
trainings in identifying and rooting out racism in the Evangelical
Lutheran church. He may not have said it first, but he certain knew it,
since he quoted it verbatim. And I saw versions of it, spoken by other
black leaders, in newspapers throughout the 1990s.  But in no case was
the quote attributed to Angela Davis.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies