[PW] Opp abbreviation

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan9 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 13:54:48 PDT 2020

Wow.  That certainly fits, especially as the address given is 518-536
Washington Street, and the address for the New Adams Street Restaurant on
the postcard is shown as 533-535 Washington Street!  Looks like a winner to
me.

Thanks!

Metta,
Ivan

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 2:46 PM Chris Corston <cfcorston at ns.sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> I would say it's "Opposite" - as in across the street from R.H. White
> Co. According to Wikipedia, R.H White was a Boston department store, so
> presumably everyone knew that landmark at the time.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._H._White
>

> Chris Corston
>
> Dartmouth Nova Scotia
>

> On 5/31/2020 5:26 PM, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
> > Hi All--
> > I have a (linen) postcard from most likely the 1940s (late 30s and early
> > 50s are quite a bit less likely dates).  It's for the "New Adams House
> > Restaurant' in Boston; on the back, it gives the address, followed by,
> >
> >    "OPP. R.H. White Co."
> >
> > I had initially thought it might have something to do with a proprietor,
> > but that won't work, as it refers to R. H. White Company instead of R.H.
> > White.  Then I thought perhaps something to do with being "operated by,"
> as
> > in "operated by the R.H. White Company," but OPP just didn't seem like an
> > abbreviation I'd choose.
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >
> > Metta,
> > Ivan

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.python.org/workshops/1998-11/proceedings/papers/laningham/laningham.html
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours