[PW] Quote: A harmful truth is better than a useful lie

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Tue May 26 13:28:46 PDT 2020

Way back in December 2013, I initiated a thread about a saying
attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Thomas Mann, and Arthur
Koestler.

An article about this topic is now available on the Quote Investigator
website, and two Project W0mbat participants are acknowledged:

I Prefer an Injurious Truth To a Useful Error. Truth Heals Any Pain It
May Inflict On Us
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2020/05/26/truth-heals/

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to Ko Ricker and Alexander whose inquiries led QI to
formulate this question and perform this exploration. Additional
thanks to Graeme Rymill and Daphne Drewello of Project Wombat who back
in 2013 responded to my mailing list request and identified Goethe's
1787 letter. Special thanks to German quotation expert Gerald
Krieghofer for his valuable research on this topic.
[End acknowledgement]

Feedback welcome
Garson O'Toole