[PW] Chicago Defender database query

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Mon May 4 11:40:16 PDT 2020

On 5/4/2020 2:32 PM, Donna Hesson wrote:
> I believe I do.  What do you need?

I am working on a piece about the famous black sportswriter Frank A.
Young, better known as "Fay" Young. (Sometimes, he was by-lined as Frank
Young, sometimes Frank A. Young, sometimes Fay Young.) He is credited
with creating the sports page, something that today we take for
granted-- but back then, a sports story could be almost anywhere in a
newspaper. He got the idea of devoting one entire page to sports. He
then began writing a Defender opinion column about sports called "Fay
Says," but I cannot find an accurate date for when that column began.
Some sources say early 1920s, others say mid-1920s, but some place it in
the 1930s. Since I am writing an encyclopedia entry, the exact year
would be useful! I'm also trying to find out if he covered the first
incarnation of the Negro Leagues: we know he was there, for example,
when the Negro National League was founded in February 1920, and I'm
curious if he wrote about his impressions of it. Feel free to contact me
off-list, and thank you SO much for the help.

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies