[PW] Searching Title Bird God Poem

Jamie Rae jamiercline at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:51:07 PDT 2020

  Hi! I am looking for a poem I read once. The speaker of the poem sees a
bird(s) in a tree. The speaker wonders how the creature does not worry
about being taken care of while the human narrator does. Narrator thinks
along the line of: Does God care more about the birds than He does humans?
I have asked about this particular poem before and not had any luck finding
it! Desperate for answer. Open to any and all suggestions of author/title.
Thought I read it in an anthology, the author was a woman and it was a
modern poem, written after 1950. The Library of Congress suggested I send
you an email.

Dear Jamie,

I'm afraid that I still haven't been able to find the poem for which you're
looking. I'm not sure if you received the previous response I sent you so
am copying it below. It suggest a few other resources you can submit your
question to for assistance.
------------------------------

The closest match I could find to the poem for which you are looking is
Mrs. Henry [Charlotte E.] Linden's "The Bird Song," which includes the
following stanza about God caring for birds, and even more for humans:

When we think of the birds and the loving care
That God gives them through the winter and spares them to sing,
And much more attention he has given to man...

You should be able to view the complete poem online through this Google
Books Preview of *Collected Black Women's Poetry
<https://books.google.com/books?id=_GJtvt-7X50C>* (v. 4), in which the poem
appears:

https://tinyurl.com/t5t4cuh

If this is not the correct poem, then your main option in my opinion is to
submit your query to a listserv known as Project Wombat (
http://project-wombat.org/faq.shtml), which is designed to help librarians
answer difficult reference questions. If you post your message to the
listserv, perhs one of the librarians who monitors it will be able to help
identify the correct poem. You can email  Project Wombat at:

list at project-wombat.org

There are also forums and listservs dedicated to helping people find books
that also welcome requests from people looking at poems. The Library of
Congress lists a number of these resources at
https://guides.loc.gov/lost-titles-forgotten-rhymes/finding-novels#s-lg-box-wrapper-24404893.
For example, LibraryThing's Name That Book feature accepts requests from
people looking for poems - http://www.librarything.com/groups/namethatbook -
and in fact I see you've already posted your question there
<https://www.librarything.com/topic/317111>. You may want to consider
posting your question to some of the others resources on the above page.

I hope these suggestions help. If you recall any additional details about
the poem, such as specific phrases that appear in it, or a possible word in
the title, please let me know and I'll be happy to conduct another search
for the poem.

Sincerely,

Researcher and Reference Services Division/pca
The Library of Congress