[PW] ?Joseph Wright on trees

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Dec 7 09:44:56 PST 2019

I haven't seen the movie so I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if it
was based on things Wright had written or said.  He was indeed one of
JRRT's teachers, and told him to "go in for Celtic, lad, there's money in
it", as well as telling him that a university was basically a factory for
fees.  Wright was perhaps the last of the great linguistic autodidacts
(before the Internet Age, which is the golden age of autodidacticism).