[PW] ? Sarah Churchill Quote (Quotation Query #706)

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 11:19:13 PDT 2019

Way back in June 2014 Fred Shapiro asked about a quotation attributed
to Sarah Churchill. Now, the Quote Investigator website has an article
on the topic:

His Grace Returned from the Wars This Morning and Pleasured Me Twice
in His Top-Boots
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2019/10/14/boots/

The earliest citation is the one dated July 28, 1938 that was
mentioned during the discussion in 2014. There is a new 1956 citation.
In addition, there is a new August 1967 citation in “History Today”
magazine which asserts that the tale is not apocryphal.

[Begin acknowledgement]
Great thanks to top researcher Fred Shapiro whose inquiry submitted to
a mailing list led QI to formulate this question and perform this
exploration. Thanks to Nigel Rees who identified the 1938 citation as
mentioned above. Special thanks to discussants Dan Bye, Kevin O’Kelly,
Sue Kamm, John Cowan, Kerry Webb, and Steve Perisho. Additional thanks
to Dan Bye for searching “The Sunday Times”.
[End acknowledgement]

Garson O'Toole
QuoteInvestigator.com