[PW] ?Fifties novel about a foreign exchange student from South America

Katherine Harper kharper4 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 08:33:50 PDT 2019

I think I know the book you mean. It was an early volume in a series about
a US high-school girl. I recall asking my mother about the term "Good
Neighbor Policy" when I read it, so it was probably from the immediate
postwar years. The exchange student was from Brazil, very beautiful, and
(in this community) exotic-looking. The other teenagers began teaching her
slang, and she shocked her host family by commenting "Is stinky, yes?"
about something unpleasant. Meanwhile, the jealous heroine was having
troubles regarding sales of tickets to some student event. The book was
bound in one of those hard covers that didn't need a jacket because it was
coated in clear varnish. But the title?—there, I can't be of help. Maybe
this description will spur someone else's memory.

Kathy

Katherine Harper, Ph.D.
Provider of customized editing, writing, indexing, and research services
<http://www.kharpereditor.com>

* <https://www.linkedin.com/in/kharper4>*