[PW] Identifying a story about gaining self-esteem via a dog collar

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 02:42:50 PDT 2019

Searching in Google Books yielded some text that may appear in the
target story. The text is probably from a reprint of the story that
appeared in "Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine". Based on examining
snippets, extracting text, searching bibliographies, and using
guesswork I hypothesize that the story is "The Valley of Little Fears"
by Erle Stanley Gardner from 1930. See the excerpts and metadata
below.

Year: 1981
Periodical: Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine
Publisher: Davis Publications, Incorporated,
(Google Books snippet match; data may be inaccurate; based on snippet
the target text contains index to volume 78 which contains issues from
July 15, 1981 to December 2, 1981)

[Begin excerpt from Ellery Queen's, page 46 GB]
I know the story of the man who wore a dog collar around his neck and
who lived in the valley of little fears. And the story is known to but
few people.
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt from Ellery Queen's]
A week or so after that I first heard the whisper about the dog
collar. They said Smith was wearing a dog's collar under his flannel
shirt. The man who told me said it was a sign of insanity.
I didn't say anything, not to him. I did to Bertha.
"Wasn't that rubbing it in?" I asked.
She shrugged her massive shoulders. "It had to be something that would
make him think more of his training than of himself. A man can get
accustomed to a glove. He'll have the devil of a time getting
accustomed to a dog collar."
"He'll lose his self-respect," I said.
"He ain't got any."
[End excerpt]

Based on the phrase in the first excerpt and other data, here is my suggestion.

Story Title: The Valley of Little Fears