[PW] Burger, Shakes and Fries

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 07:13:18 PDT 2019

The one page article in "American Speech" is about burger as a suffix.
Here are two excepts.

Date: 1939 April
Journal: American Speech
Volume 14, Number 2
Article: Hamburger Progeny
Author: Arnold Williams
Quote Page 154
Published by: Duke University Press
https://www.jstor.org/stable/451228

[Begin excerpt]
A notebook kept on travels about the country yields these specimens of
the use of -burger as a suffix:
Chickenburger. Ground chicken.
Cheeseburger. Hamburger and chopped cheese mixed and grille
Clamburger. An old staple, the clam fritter.
Lamburger. Ground lamb. (This tasted like 'ramburger.')
Rabbitburger. Ground rabbit.
Nutburger. A nut and meat sandwich.
Porkburger. Ground pork, in other words, sausage!
Wimpyburger. A specially large hamburger sandwich.
[End excerpt]

[Begin excerpt]
Wimpyburger suggests to the student of etymology a clue to the
undeniable popularity of -burger as a suffix.
. . .
Wimpy is an inveterate coiner of new words. Several years ago he
created goonburger,  so far as I know, the first use of -burger as a
suffix. More  recently demonburger has appeared. It may well be that
Segar is thus responsible for the advent of a new suffix into the
vulgate.
[End excerpt]