[PW] Novels with buildings as characters/main protagonists

Sue Watkins genealogy2018 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 31 07:20:58 PDT 2019

In this story, the house does all the talking:
"There Will Come Soft Rains" From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A short story by science fiction author Ray Bradbury which was first published in the May 6, 1950 issue of Collier's. Later that same year the story was included in Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles (1950).
PlotAn overnight nuclear catastrophe leaves the city of Allendale, California entirely desolate. However, within one miraculously preserved house, the daily routine continues – automatic systems within the home prepare breakfast, clean the house, make beds, wash dishes, and address the former residents without any knowledge of their current state as burnt silhouettes on one of the walls. In spite of the homeowners' evident deaths, the house's systems zealously uphold its sanctity, frightening off surviving birds by closing the window shutters. One afternoon, a dog is allowed into the house when it is recognized as the family pet, but it dies soon after. That evening, the house recites to the absent hostess her favorite poem, "There Will Come Soft Rains" by Sara Teasdale. An accidental fire breaks out in the kitchen and spreads throughout the entire house. The house's systems desperately and futilely attempt to salvage the house, but the doomed home burns to the ground in a night. The following dawn, a single voice from the lone surviving wall endlessly repeats the time and date. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Will_Come_Soft_Rains_(short_story)

Sue W
=============Man will destroy the world because he does not obey the laws of nature and pretends to know the laws of God -S. Sullivan, 1966