[PW] Novels with buildings as characters/main protagonists

Bristol Library bplref at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 08:02:24 PDT 2019

I've little to add, since all I can think of have other narrators.
Haunting of Hill House is the one that leapt to mind (the line about the
house not being sane at the end) and the aforementioned short story "There
Will Come Soft Rains."  In SF, there's Anne McCaffrey's Ship Who Sang
series, which as I dimly recall has the brain/consciousness of a person
being put into a starship. Anne Rivers Siddons has another malevolent
dwelling in The House Next Door but again, no narration; Howl's Moving
Castle is a good place but it doesn't narrate. Book Riot has an article but
I don't know that any of those fit the bill, either:

Book Riot <https://bookriot.com/2018/03/06/books-houses-alive/>

Interesting question!

Jeanne

Bristol Public Library