[PW] Novels with buildings as characters/main protagonists

Lesley K klesleyk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 18:13:43 PDT 2019

I seem to recall that some of the sections of Helen Oyeyemi's WHITE IS
FOR WITCHING are told from the perspective of the house, although not
actively narrated by it.  It's pretty ambiguous, however (but a
fantastic read)

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 7:30 PM Sherman, James <jsherman at lapl.org> wrote:

> Hello, I have a patron looking for novels  narrated by buildings .  There
> are titles that have been described as having the building "as the main
> character", such as *Life: A Users Manual  by Perec*
> Or  *The Uninvited Guest *by Jones, or a couple of books in Shirley
> Jackson's oeuvre, and there's also Manderley of *Rebecca*.... there's quite
> a few that have the house as more than a setting and something of a
> character.
>
> Still, none of the examples I or my colleagues could think up or find had
> the building talking, much less narrating the action.
>
> I am eager to find out if we missed something.  Thank you!

-- Lesley Knieriem
   Rogers Public Library
   Rogers AR

Nunc adeamus bibliothecam, non illam quidem multis instructam libris,
sed exquisitis. -- Erasmus