[PW] 1950-era novel about a physicist

ADSGarson O'Toole adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 22:52:55 PDT 2019

Here is what surfaced when I searched for "physicist as hero" in
Google Books (GB).  Snippets from GB indicate that "Physics Today"
reviewed the following book circa 1949.

"The Big Secret" by Merle Colby
The Viking Press, New York, 1949

[Begin excerpt]
There may be a curious lesson here for physicists, whose secrets are a
bone of contention (to their own dismay and discomfort), but the
lesson is born in a strange setting. The Big Secret is a combination
detective thriller, morality play, and satire.

With a young nuclear physicist as hero, the book combines two
ingredients of high potential—Washington and atomic energy—to make a
point about science and politics.
[End excerpt]

An enormous number of science fiction stories have scientists as heroes.
Garson