[PW] Adage: It is more important to know what sort of a patient has a disease than what disease a patient has

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sun Jul 21 22:51:18 PDT 2019

This may be a case of beating the proverbial dead horse, but having come
to the conclusion that Dr. Woods Hutchinson (who was quoted in _a lot_
of magazines & newspapers of his day) helped to popularize the Moxon
quote, I wanted to see if I'd missed anyone else.  Continuing with my
searches, I noted there are various versions of the quote, in addition
to various people who were using it:  For example, in the 1906 /New York
State Journal of Medicine/ (vol. 6, p. 122), Dr. John H. Pryor
references Moxon but his version of the quote says "At this time the
observation of Moxon seems pertinent:  it is quite as important to know
what kind of a patient the disease has got as to know what sort of a
disease the patient has got."  And in 1909, writing in /The Medical
Summary/ (page 48) Dr. J.L DeWolfe says it like this:  "Moxon, the
pathologist, says wisely: "It is very important to know what kind of
disease the patient has got, but it is even more important to know what
kind of patient the disease has got."   My favorite version is the
return of Dr. John H. Pryor in the 1912 /New York Medical Journal/, p.
583, in which he acknowledges that (a) he's paraphrasing the quote, and
(b) he says it's attributed to Moxon, perhaps hinting that nobody knows
if Moxon really said it:  "Inability to find the exact words of a
quotation attributed to Moxon obliges a reference from memory: “It is as
important to know what kind of a patient the disease has got as to know
what kind of a disease the patient has got.”   There's also a 1909
paraphrase, with no mention of Moxon, in the /Journal of Nervous and
Mental Disease/ (p. 737), and also in the /Journal of the American
Medical Association/ that same year (p. 317).  Both credit a Dr. Putnam.
   "Dr. J. W. Putnam, Buffalo N.Y., said: It has always seemed to me
that the great desire to find what kind of disease the patient has may
be carried to an extreme, and the tendency should also be to find out
what kind of a patient is controlled by the disease."

And as you noted on Quote Investigator page, there are numerous other
times when this maxim was quoted around period from 1900-1912. I've
found it in the 1907 /Therapeutic Gazette /(p. 247), a 1905 book by
Francis Washington Everard Hare (p. 392), and numerous others-- in all
cases, Moxon's first name is never mentioned, nor is there a time frame
of when he said it, other than a couple of authors who say "many years
ago" or "a long time ago."  I also find other permutations of the same
thought-- like "treat the individual and not the disease" (or "treat the
patient and not the disease") around the same time period. It's also
interesting how the quote is frequently used during the early 1910s, and
then it seems to recede, only to return in modern times (sometimes
attributed, but usually not).  Not sure what any of this proves, but I
thought you might find some of it interesting!

--
Donna L. Halper, PhD
Associate Professor of Communication & Media Studies